Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?  (Alex Turner <armtuk@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 20:37, CSN wrote:
>

>>Just so I know (and am armed ;) ), are there any new
>>comparable features in MySQL 5.0 that aren't in
>>PostgreSQL up to the forthcoming 8.1? AFAIK, PG just
>>lacks updatable views (which are on the TODO).
>>

><snip>
>
>Instance Manager:  Uniquely MySQL.  It allows things like starting and
>stopping the database remotely.

I cannot think of a reason ever to need this when we have OpenSSH....
<snip>

>Federated Storage Engine:  Allows MySQL to access tables in other
>servers like they are here.  No real direct equivalent in PostgreSQL,
>but dblink provides similar functionality.

DBI-Link also has a wider range of functionality and can access tables
on MySQL, Oracle, DB2, etc. servers.
<snip>

>Strict Mode and Error handling:  Not an option, but always on in
>PostgreSQL.  There are still plenty of things that "fall through the
>cracks" on MySQL, like my previously mentioned problem with column level
>constraints (specificall fk but all column level constraints are
>ignored, no error, no warning, no notice.)  Jeez, how hard would it be
>to just throw a danged notice?

Or worse, do you want an RDBMS where an application can turn of data
verification and then insert dates like Feb 31, 2005?  (Strict mode can
be enabled/disabled per connection/session)
<snip>

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting

От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: PG 8.0.4, Centos and 64 bit
От: Chris Travers
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?