Re: Limitations of PostgreSQL

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: Limitations of PostgreSQL
Дата
Re: Limitations of PostgreSQL  ("Bill Bartlett" <bbartlett@meridianemr.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Denis G Dudhia wrote:

> Hello There...
>
> I am new to PostgreSQL.
>
> I usually check out negative sides of any software or system, before
> implementing it or using it.

Compared to MySQL, I can't think of any downsides.  All relevant
usability issues have been solved, though there are some functions like
INTERVAL that are not supported (see my migration guide at
http://www.metatrontech.com/wpapers/)

Compared to Oracle, DB2, Terradata, etc, PostgreSQL lacks support for
parallelism in queries, thereby making it a poor choice for certain
types of data warehousing applications.  This being said, 8.1, depending
on the application, may meet your needs once it comes out if you are
doing data warehousing.  Josh  Berkus can correct me if I am wrong, but
I believe he is working on a version of the open source Bizgress with
will have massively parallel queries.

Multimaster async replication w/updates is a pain at the moment and
mostly a set of kludges.

I am not aware of any good sync. replication solutions for PostgreSQL at
the moment.

Does not have full XA support at the moment (does have TPC).

May not be the best choice on Windows for production use, though for
development, it should be adequate.

Hope this helps,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology COnsulting

<http://adworks.rediff.com/cgi-bin/AdWorks/sigclick.cgi/www.rediff.com/signature-home.htm/1507191490@Middle5?PARTNER=3>

От: peter pilsl
Сообщение: Re: count( only if true)
От: Scott Marlowe
Сообщение: Re: Limitations of PostgreSQL