Re: BUG #1947: Enhancement Request - CONCAT() function

От Klint Gore
Тема Re: BUG #1947: Enhancement Request - CONCAT() function
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:45:03 -0400 (EDT), Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> Oracle has a tendency to keep things around forever, which is nice, but
> over the years it produces a system with lots of strange features that
> make the system hard to use.  PostgreSQL has a tendency to remove old,
> unused stuff over time to keep the system easy to understand.  This is
> part of the reason we have not added CONCAT, because it doesn't really
> add new functionality to the vast majority of our users.
>
> Sure, if someone wants to write scripts that work with PostgreSQL and
> Oracle EBCDIC machines, it would be nice to have, but for 99% of our
> users, it is just added cruft, and we have a tendency to try to reduce
> cruft rather than make 1% of people happy, especially when the
> extensibility system of PostgreSQL allows users to create their own
> CONCAT functions if they desire.

Where does textcat fit into things?

klint.

: Klint Gore                            : "Non rhyming    :
: EMail   : kg@kgb.une.edu.au           :  slang - the    :
: Snail   : A.B.R.I.                    :  possibilities  :
: Mail      University of New England   :  are useless"   :
:           Armidale NSW 2351 Australia :     L.J.J.      :
: Fax     : +61 2 6772 5376             :                 :