Re: Oracle buys Innobase

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Oracle buys Innobase
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/10/2005 1:32 PM, Dann Corbit wrote:

> From:
> http://www.filmsite.org/whof4.html
>
> Valiant: Come on. Nobody's gonna drive this lousy freeway when they can take the Red Car for a nickel.
> Doom: Oh, they'll drive. They'll have to. You see, I bought the Red Car so I could dismantle it.
>
> I don't think Oracle has any interest in InnoDB other than to pull the rug out from under the commercial version of
MySQL. Ranks right up there with MS's gutting of STAK and Sun's claim of language ownership for Java.
> IMO-YMMV.

And this might not even be meant personally agains MySQL. There is this
old tit for tat between Oracle and SAP, you know? Some of that finger
wrestling lead to SAP having this other database, they don't really know
what to do with (Adabas-D AKA SAP-DB AKA MaxDB). SAP still owns the
rights to that code, but MySQL does all the maintenance and support for
it. And as I understood it, there were plans to rebuild the MaxDB
functionality in a future version of MySQL because the MaxDB code isn't
exactly maintenance friendly.

Now here is the price question: How many SAP R/3 customers would chose
that new MySQL version over Oracle while Oracle has their hand on that
drain plug Innobase?

Jan