Windows, ODBC drivers and strange points ...

От Marten Feldtmann
Тема Windows, ODBC drivers and strange points ...
Дата
Список pgsql-odbc
Hello,

I'm trying to use PostgreSQL via ODBC under Windows
and IBM VisualAge Smalltalk. Normally ODBC works
pretty well, but I've found two problems with the
ODBC driver of PostgreSQL, which makes the whole
thing not  working:

a) All column names are returned from the database
  in lowercase and not in the form the client send
  then when doing the "create table ..." statement.

  Which leads to the problem, that other frameworks
  on top of it do not find their columns do make the
  oo-rdbms mapping stuff.

b) All strings returned by the ODBC driver are defined
  in a buffer, which is offered to the ODBC subsystem
  as a string doubled in size - though I told the
  databaase NOT to create a UNICODE db.

  An example: a column has the result type char(15). The
  ODBC drivers put the result of this column into a
  memory with a size of 30 characters.

  The ODBC subsystem now thinks: fine - I've a character
  column with size 30 and creates a string 30 characters
  long and one gets 15 corrects characters and 15 "0" (null)
  bytes.

I've never seen this behaviour with other ODBC drivers
I've used so far, therefore I think, this is pretty
strange behaviour.

I'm using the 8.0.3 database and the 8.0.1.2 drivers.

Any ideas ???

Marten Feldtmann