[Off Topic] Swing vs SWT

От Dan Armbrust
Тема [Off Topic] Swing vs SWT
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Michael Schmidt wrote: <blockquote cite="midBAY101-DAV13F5B87CA73553F1B32BD4A3840@phx.gbl"
I'llindulge it - <br /><br /> I've done development using Swing and SWT - and I find SWT's APIs to be much cleaner,
intuitive,and easy to use.  Manual GUI development is much quicker with SWT  and results in much less code that is far
morereadable.  Also, SWT layout managers are _much_ easier to use than the crud that comes with Swing from Sun.<br
/><br/> Side note - if you do have to do Swing development, I highly recommend using the JGoodies forms package - it is
alayout manager for Swing </tt>that is far and away better than trying to do things with Swing layout managers -  <a
class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/forms/index.html">http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/forms/index.html</a><br/> As
anexample, I rewrote some forms that were 800 lines of code using GridBagLayout into about 150 lines of code using
JGoodies. And the JGoodies code is far more readable.<br /><br /> Back to SWT - Swing still just looks like crud when
comparedside-by-side with native Windows applications.  Especially in windows XP - Sun still doesn't have the Windows
XPLook and Feel implemented properly.  And if a user applies a custom XP skin, then it really looks strange.  The file
choosersdon't look or work like native Windows XP file choosers.   And when windows "super duper 5.0" comes out next
year,I'm sure it will only take sun another 3 years or so to write the new look and Feel.  Meanwhile, your apps just
lookweird.  SWT Apps _always_ look exactly like the OS look and feel - because it uses the native OS widgets.    You
canalso embed Swing parts into a SWT application if you need to.<br /><br /> When I write a SWT application, most of my
usersdon't even know it is a java application.  It just looks like a normal "windows" application.  You can also launch
SWTapps using Java WebStart, or, if you don't want to use webstart, you combine your app, SWT, and <a
class="moz-txt-link-freetext"href="http://jsmooth.sourceforge.net/">http://jsmooth.sourceforge.net/</a> and suddenly
youhave a native windows executable for your users.  All of javas ugly bits are safely hidden away from your end
user.<br/><br /> If you want to compare a Swing application (written using JGoodies looks and JGoodies look and feel -
whichdoes a better job than Suns look and feel at looking like Windows XP) side by side with a similar SWT application
tobe masterpieces of user interface design - they are just utilities for techie types using LexGrid)<br /><a
class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://informatics.mayo.edu/LexGrid/index.php?page=convert">http://informatics.mayo.edu/LexGrid/index.php?page=convert</a><br
/><aclass="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://informatics.mayo.edu/LexGrid/index.php?page=indexer">http://informatics.mayo.edu/LexGrid/index.php?page=indexer</a><br
/><br/> Especially pay attention to the speed and appearance of the file choosers (click the "Browse..". button) - to
enablethe second file chooser in the Indexer Creator app - go to the "Options" menu and choose "Build Normalized
Index"<br/><br /> Another awesome gui that is written in SWT (and most end users don't even know its written in
Java)<br/><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
witha little bit of relevance to PostgreSQL<br /> A database designer plugin for Eclipse  (which is all written in
SWT) - supports PostgreSQL:<br /><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
Anotherdatabase plugin for Eclipse that lets you work with a PostgreSQL database.<br /><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
Dan<br/><pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">

Daniel Armbrust
Biomedical Informatics
Mayo Clinic Rochester
daniel.armbrust(at)mayo.edu