Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?

От Andreas Pflug
Тема Re: Vote needed: revert beta2 changes or not?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> As against that, changing them back now might just confuse matters even
> more.  And I tend to agree with Neil's judgment that the new definitions
> are cleaner in themselves.

When talking about cleanliness of the definition, a name like
"pg_stat_file" seems quite unfortunate since in the presence of many
pg_stat_* statistics functions it sounds like a function dealing with
statistics files. The pg_*_file names were actually not discussed
exhaustively, originally posted as pg_file_*.

Taking from this, a clean naming convention would require
pg_backend_cancel (and pg_file_stat), extending this beta2->beta3
changes even more but leaving backward compatibility if the int
pg_cancel_backend isn't replaced, but accompanied by a clean bool version.

As Dave already pointed out, pgAdmin isn't affected itself, since we
need some additional functions anyway to remain 8.0 compatibility.

Regards,
Andreas