Re: transaction toggling

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: transaction toggling
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Matthew Peter wrote:
> Is there a way to disable transactions on certian
> queries? I read a while back that this wasn't
> possible, just wondering if it is in 8.1 or planned in
> the future?
>
> Does it even make a dent in the performance if a query
> is wrapped in a transaction instead of out? Such as a
> view counter, like...
>
> update views = views + 1 where x = 1;?

It's not in general possible to have part of your database under
transactional control and part not.

For example, what happens in your update if there are two processes
incrementing the view counter - A is in a transaction, B is not.
   A begins transaction
   A increments view count
   B increments view count
   A rolls back transaction