Sorting by the maximum value of two columns

От David Gaudine
Тема Sorting by the maximum value of two columns
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
I want to use SELECT to view some records sorted (ordered?) by the
maximum value of two fields.  I tried

SELECT * FROM mytable ORDER BY MAX(column1,column2)

but there's no such function.  How can I do this?  Is there a function
for this purpose, or can I write my own, or do I need a different
approach entirely?

I hope what I'm trying to do is clear, but just in case I'll fake an
example.

column1    column2

4                  7
9                  5