Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort?

От Jignesh K. Shah
Тема Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I have seen similar performance as Josh and my reasoning is as follows:

* WAL is the biggest bottleneck with its default size of 16MB. Many
people hate to recompile the code   to change its default, and
increasing checkpoint segments help but still there is lot of overhead
in the rotation of WAL files (Even putting WAL on tmpfs shows that it is
still slow). Having an option for bigger size is helpful to a small
extent percentagewise (and frees up CPU a bit in doing file rotation)

* Growing files: Even though this is OS dependent but it does spend lot
of time doing small 8K block increases to grow files. If we can signal
bigger chunks to grow or "pre-grow"  to expected size of  data files
that will help a lot in such cases.

* COPY command had restriction but that has been fixed to a large
extent.(Great job)

But ofcourse I have lost touch with programming and can't begin to
understand PostgreSQL code to change it myself.

Regards,
Jignesh

Ron Peacetree wrote:

>That 11MBps was your =bulk load= speed.  If just loading a table
>is this slow, then there are issues with basic physical IO, not just
>IO during sort operations.
>
>As I said, the obvious candidates are inefficient physical layout
>and/or flawed IO code.
>
>Until the basic IO issues are addressed, we could replace the
>present sorting code with infinitely fast sorting code and we'd
>still be scrod performance wise.
>
>So why does basic IO suck so badly?
>
>Ron

Сообщение: Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort?
Сообщение: Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort?