Re: Extraordinarily slow!!

От Tony Caduto
Тема Re: Extraordinarily slow!!
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> Bizarre.
>>
> Question:
>
> Does the problem happen when you just type psql?
> What if you pass the host option? e.g; psql -h 127.0.0.1
> What type of auth are you running?
>
>> Don't use Gentoo?  Seriously, that distribution is completely
>> unsupportable because no one else has the faintest idea what you are
>> really running.  You've probably got some system component that is
>> either broken in itself or incompatible with some other component,
>> but there's no way to tell which.
>>
> I would have to agree with Tom here. Gentoo is a great
> development machine and a fun toy but if you don't want
> unknowns in your environment and Gentoo will easily introduce
> them.
>
> You really should look at something like Fedora Core or Ubuntu
> if you want FREE. If you don't mind paying the SuSE is a good choice.
> If you want RHE look and feel but don't want to pay, look at CentOS.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

I guess I would agree for a Linux Newbie, but the only unknowns are
those that the user would introduce.
Like I said before Gentoo makes a extremely stable and powerful OS, but
it must be setup properly, and in my experience if you follow the
install docs and don't mess around with things like the kernel scheduler
and what not Postgresql runs extremely well and is super easy to update
with the Portage emerge.

Later,

Tony