pg_autovacuum startup from /etc/rc fails after system crash

От Jonathan Beit-Aharon
Тема pg_autovacuum startup from /etc/rc fails after system crash
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
asystem crash PostgreSQL startup is slow as the database </font><font size="+1">recovers.  So the db_connect() call
doesnot get started automatically by either the<br />     postmaster or by pg_ctl.  Similarly, when the postmaster
exits,no one<br />     tells pg_autovacuum.  The result of that is that at the start of the<br />     next loop,
pg_autovacuumwill fail to connect to the server and<br />     exit().  Any time it fails to connect pg_autovacuum
exit()s.<br/><br /> So the failure we're experiencing is an unintended result of an intended solution.   Any
suggestionson how I can work-around this problem?<br /><br /> Would it make sense to put the first db_connect() call in
theinit_db_list() routine inside a [configurable repeatition] loop, sleeping after disappointed attempt to connect, and
breakingout on success?   That way, I think, when pg_autovacuum is initiated, we assume the postmaster is up, but when