Re: Attention PL authors: want to be listed in template

От Rupa Schomaker (lists)
Тема Re: Attention PL authors: want to be listed in template
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 9/8/2005 9:20 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Rupa Schomaker (lists)" <pgsql-hackers@lists.rupa.com> writes:
>
>>How are dumps/restores of local modifications to the template going to
>>be handled?
>

> pg_dump has no business trying to save or restore the template data;
> if it did so then we'd just have moved the original problem of obsolete
> data to a different place.  See my original proposal.

I must be missing something.

Situation: A user installs a third-party PL that installs itself by
updating the template catalog and then doing a createlang.

Can the user simply do a dumpall/restore and get back into working
order.  Or will the user have to re-run the PL install script?

Situation: A DBA changes something in the catalog as you've suggested is
possible.

Does the DBA now have to perform an extra step after a dump/restore to
get things 'back the way they were?'

The 'whats the point' was sort of implied in my original message.
Rather than say 'whats the point' I was trying to point out a potential
pitfall for end-users with this approach and suggest we should address it.

You removed the pertinent part of your statement about how this catalog
would be useful for more than just core PLs.  If we're encouraging this
as a general solution then the solution should be complete.

>             regards, tom lane

-- -Rupa