Re: initdb profiles

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: initdb profiles
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:

>Folks,
>
>Help on the Configurator is actively solicited.   I really think this is a
>better solution for this problem.
>http://www.pgfoundry.org/projects/configurator

I don't agree, for several reasons.

1. Steve has already told us most of his clients just go with the defaults
2. We don't have to pick a winner; improving initdb wouldn't obviate the
need for configurator
3. It's a cop-out. I think there's a reasoable expectation that we will
by default use some settings that work reasonably in typical cases.
Inviting people to use an add-on tool to tune postgres after initdb is
the sort of thing that gets postgres a bad name. We need to find some
sort of sweet spot between being machine hogs and being so conservative
that out of the box we run like a dog for typical users. Initdb already
has adaptive rules - look at the source -  and Tom suggests adding
another set for max_fsm_pages. All I'm doing is to suggest that we need
to tweak those.

cheers

andrew