8.1 OUT params returning more than one row question

От Tony Caduto
Тема 8.1 OUT params returning more than one row question
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,
I have been playing around with 8.1(it's very nice by the way) and was
trying to get OUT params to return more than 1 row.

I came up with the function below, and it does work, however I had to
declare another record to use in the FOR ..IN loop.
From my reading of the docs the out params create a record type
automaticly and my question is how can I use this automaticly created
record in the
FOR loop?  It does not seem right that I have to create another record
type and then copy the row values to the out parms.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_func9(out firstname varchar, out
lastname varchar)
RETURNS SETOF record AS
$BODY$
Declare
row record;
BEGIN   for row in select null,description from common.common_groups   loop       firstname = row.description;
lastname= '';   RETURN NEXT;   end loop;

END;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

Thanks,