Re: Pre-allocated free space for row updating (like PCTFREE)

От Mark Kirkwood
Тема Re: Pre-allocated free space for row updating (like PCTFREE)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> It should be possible to see what the crossover point is in terms of
> benefit using dbt2 and tweaking the transactions that are run, something
> I can do if there's interest. But I agree with Satoshi; if there are
> people who will benefit from this option (which doesn't hurt those who
> choose not to use it), why not put it in?

ISTM that this patch could be beneficial for the 'web session table'
type workload (i.e. huge number of updates on relatively few rows), that
is (well - last time I tried anyway) a bit of a challenge to reign in.

There was a thread about this a while ago (late 2004), so in some sense
it is a 'real world' scenario:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-06/msg00282.php

regards

Mark