Re: MemoryContextSwitchTo during table scan?

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: MemoryContextSwitchTo during table scan?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Jignesh Shah wrote:
> Now the question is why there are so many calls to MemoryContextSwitchTo
> in a single SELECT query command? Can it be minimized?

I agree with Tom -- if profiling indicates that MemoryContextSwitchTo()
is the bottleneck, I would be suspicious that your profiling setup is
misconfigured. MemoryContextSwitchTo() is essentially a function call,
two pointer assignments, and a function return. Try rerunning the test
with current sources -- MemoryContextSwitchTo() is now inlined when
using GCC, which should just leave the assignments.

-Neil