Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.3 limiting max_connections to 64 ?

От Sebastian Hennebrueder
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.3 limiting max_connections to 64 ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

eu schrieb:

> Hello, i need help...
>
> i have a postgresql 8.0.3 database running on the backend of a postfix
> setup ( i didn't trust Mysql for the job ) on Linux kernel 2.6.8.1,
> serving email to a dozen different virtual domains ( including this
> one i'm using right now )...
>
> however, this setup takes a whole lot of simultaneous connections to
> the database
> ( postfix, amavis-new, clamav + spamassassin, apache+squirrelmail,
> courier-authlib and courier-imap ), all those services were configured
> to use Unix Domain Sockets, instead of TCP ( netstat -anvp showed too
> many short-lived connections were kept on CLOSE_WAIT for too long
> while connecting via TCP ), and, despite i have made max_connections
> on the postgresql.conf as high as 500, after ( around ) 64
> simultaneous connections i start having a lot of "sorry too many
> clients already" errors on my postgresql logfile...
> then, my users go nuts complaining about how slow the server is and/or
> having to retype their passwords too many times ( of course, since
> authlib can't pick a connection to authenticate against the database ).
>
> max_connections, shared_buffers, shmmax were tweaked, but the server
> does not seems to respect the 500 max_connections...
> i *know* i'm missing something obvious, but, what could be wrong ?...
> i'm lost... any help would be most appreciated... please.
>
> thanks.

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

500 parallel connections are very very much. You should verify if one
application is not closing connections or if you can create an
connection pool.
Use select * from pg_stat_activity to see wheach connections are open
from which client and if they are iddle or not. See the postgreSQL doc
for more information on these queries.

- --
Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder

- ----

http://www.laliluna.de

Tutorials for JSP, JavaServer Faces, Struts, Hibernate and EJB

Get support, education and consulting for these technologies -
uncomplicated and cheap.

--
Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder

----

От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: Checking for old transaction snapshots
От: "Michael Schmidt"
Сообщение: Field order