Re: Testing of MVCC

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Testing of MVCC
Дата
Re: Testing of MVCC  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Testing of MVCC  (Kaare Rasmussen <kar@kakidata.dk>)
Список pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>

>>Tom Lane wrote:
>>

>>>Maybe the right answer is just to hack up Pg.pm or DBD::Pg to provide
>>>the needed asynchronous-command-submission facility, and go forward
>>>from there using the Perl Test framework.
>>>

>>How will we make sure it's consistent? People have widely varying
>>versions of DBD::Pg and DBI installed, not to mention the bewildering
>>array of Test::Foo modules out there
>>

>Yeah, that would be an issue.  But can't a Perl script require
>"version >= m.n" for each module it uses?

Yes it can, but are you going to restrict building or running
regressions to only thos platforms that have our required modules
installed? That might be thought a tad unfriendly.

>I had actually been thinking to myself that Pg.pm might be a better base
>because it's more self-contained.
>
>Another line of thought is to write a fresh implementation of the wire
>protocol all in Perl, so as not to depend on DBI or much of anything
>except Perl's TCP support (which I hope is reasonably well standardized
>;-)).  If you wanted to do any testing at the protocol level ---
>handling of bad messages, say --- you'd pretty much need this anyway
>because no driver is going to let you get at things at such a low level.
>But it'd raise the cost of getting started quite a bit.

I think we're mostly on the same page.

Maybe pulling some code from this would give us a leg up rather than
having to start from scratch:  http://search.cpan.org/~arc/DBD-PgPP-0.05/

cheers

andrew