Re: Testing of MVCC

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Testing of MVCC
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>What we really need is a test program that can issue a command on one
>connection (perhaps waiting for it to finish, perhaps not) and then
>issue other commands on other connections, all according to a script.
>I am unsure that the existing pg_regress infrastructure is the right
>place to start from.  Perhaps we should look at Expect or something
>similar.

Or else a harness that operates at the library/connection level rather
than trying to control a tty app.

Expect is very cool, but it would impose an extra dependency on tcl that
we don't now have for building and testing, and I am not sure how easy
or even possible it is to get it to work in a satisfactory way on
Windows. The NIST site says it's in AS Tcl, but in the docs that
accompany my copy of same, it says "Unix only" on the Expect manual page.

Just some words of caution.

One other note: please be very careful in changing pg_regress.sh -
getting it right especially on Windows was very time consuming, and it
is horribly fragile.

cheers

andrew