Re: Tool for database design documentation?

От Steve Manes
Тема Re: Tool for database design documentation?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Jon Christian Ottersen wrote:
> We are trying to find a good way to document our database design – what
> is the rationale behind each table/field, what kind of information is
> each field supposed to contain, perhaps also something about the linking
> between the tables etc. Is there anybody who has some experience on
> this? Is the built in ‘comments’ fields in pgsql the best tool or are
> there any special tools that would be recommendable?

I prefer to use a third-party tool like Case Studio 2
(http://www.casestudio.com) for this.  Import your schema into CS,
document your various entities in the table/element/key/etc popups, then
Export everything to HTML.  CS generates pretty complete documentation.