Re: Couple of minor buildfarm issues

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Couple of minor buildfarm issues
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>One pretty silly point: I notice that
>http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/index.html
>says "The build farm software does not currently run on Windows".
>This is out of date no?

Fixed, thanks.

>One not so trivial question: do we have a policy about system/compiler
>updates on buildfarm members?  Arguably, if I'm running say OS X 10.2
>and I update to 10.4, it's no longer the same machine and we should
>retire the buildfarm ID (the "animal") and issue a new one to denote
>that the results aren't necessarily comparable.  (I choose the OS X
>update as an example with malice aforethought, since in fact our older
>branches do not work on 10.4.)  Ditto for, say, a major gcc update.
>
>At the very least it seems we need some longitudinal tracking of OS and
>compiler and other software versions (eg Python version is relevant to
>plpython).  As best I can see from here, the identification of a
>buildfarm member's software versions is static, and that isn't very
>realistic unless we enforce it to be so.

These thoughts do not come upon me as a bolt from the blue. ;-)

The personality of a machine is defined by the tuple of:

 <OS, OSVersion, Compiler, CompilerVersion, Architecture>

except that for Linux we say that the OS is the Distribution, not the
kernel (or glibc) version, because when we started somebody (I forget
who) said that the kernel versionwas probably the least interesting
datum. OTOH, in some cases the word "distribution" has been stretched
more than somewhat - Gentoo is really more a "build your own distro"
system than a distribution in itself.

Now, we have several problems with the setup. First, the fields to
describe all these are  text fields both on the registration form and
in the database, and there are no edit restrictions or check/FK
constraints. So we have something of a mess, which I need to get around
to cleaning up. Secondly, as you observe, machines change. I have
resisted suggestions to allow arbitrary dynamic updates of personality,
precisely so that we can track history in a sensible fashion. My current
plan is to provide generational personalities only for cases of
OSVersion or CompilerVersion update. Build results will be tied to a
particular generation, and this will be reflected on the history page.
Any other change would require retirement/reregistration. Right now, we
don't have that, and any change in these items should result in member
retirement/reregistration.

We don't consider configuration settings ( e.g.
--enable-integer-datetimes or --with-perl) to be part of the
personality, and we don't currently track changes in them, nor in
versions of third party libraries we might use ( e.g. openssl or libz).
There is a limit to the lengths to which we can reasonably go, and I
feel we are probably not too far from the sweet spot.

Enforcing these details is probably going to be hard. This is mainly a
trust system.

On another note, I am close to having provision for the complete log
upload you requested - my test box has it working and loading into the
db - next I will work on providing web access to it.

cheers

andrew