Re: For review: Server instrumentation patch

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: For review: Server instrumentation patch
Дата
Re: For review: Server instrumentation patch  (Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>>How is this different from the fact that the superuser can
>>>

>>already use
>>

>>>COPY to accomplish the same thing?
>>>

>>COPY can accomplish a few of the same things, much less
>>conveniently (for instance, it's darn hard to write an
>>arbitrary binary file through COPY).
>>

>Right. But the *security* problem is more or less equal. If somebody
>hacks your superuser account, they can make at least almost the same
>amount of damage. It may take a little more work, but if you just want
>to kill the system by overwriting files, or overwriting say the password
>file, it's just as easy. And if what you want to do is stick some kind
>of executable o nthe system, you can just wrap it in a shellscript that
>will unpack it.

It could be argued that there should be provision for a limitation on
the locations in which COPY can write (and maybe read) files.

If COPY is a security hole then we should close it, not use that as
precedent to open another hole.

cheers

andrew

Сообщение: Re: For review: Server instrumentation patch
Сообщение: Re: For review: Server instrumentation patch