Re: IN subquery not using a hash

От Paul Tillotson
Тема Re: IN subquery not using a hash
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

>Paul Tillotson <spam1011@adelphia.net> writes:
>

>>Tom Lane wrote:
>>

>>>Hardly likely, considering it's estimating only 296 rows in the subquery
>>>output.  My bet is that you've chosen a datatype whose comparisons are
>>>not hashable (like char(n)).  What is the datatype of parentid in these
>>>tables, anyway?
>>>

>>I don't have access to the machine now, but my memory is that
>>parent.parentid is numeric(10,2) and child.parentid is int.
>>

>Offhand I don't believe there are any hashable crosstype comparisons.
>In this case the int is probably getting promoted to numeric, but I
>think numeric comparison isn't hashable either (because for example
>'0.0' = '0.000' but the internal representations are different).

This is apparently the trouble.  This query doesn't use a hash:

SELECT * FROM table1
WHERE <condition> OR numeric1 IN (SELECT int1 FROM table2)

But, this query (identical except for the cast) does:

SELECT * FROM table1
WHERE <condition> OR numeric1::int IN (SELECT int1 FROM table2)

Thanks for the help, Tom and others.

Paul Tillotson

От: wayne schlemitz
Сообщение: unsubscribe
От: Michael Fuhr
Сообщение: Re: Strange input/cast semantics for inet