Re: Timestamp Conversion Woes Redux

От Oliver Jowett
Тема Re: Timestamp Conversion Woes Redux
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Dave Cramer wrote:

> Well, we're in a vague area of the spec here. There are two TIMESTAMP
> types defined by the sql spec,

right.

> and only one setTimestamp.

The SQL spec doesn't define setTimestamp at all. The JDBC spec defines
*two* setTimestamp methods.

> There is no indication by the spec
> that this behaviour is the "right" behaviour.

The javadoc for the with-Calendar variant is quite clear:

>> Sets the designated parameter to the given java.sql.Timestamp value,
>> using the given Calendar object. The driver uses the Calendar object to
>> construct an SQL TIMESTAMP value, which the driver then sends to the
>> database. With a Calendar object, the driver can calculate the timestamp
>> taking into account a custom timezone. If no Calendar object is
>> specified, the driver uses the default timezone, which is that of the
>> virtual machine running the application.

I think it's pretty clear that this variant must map to timestamptz.

The javadoc for the no-Calendar variant is more vague:

>> Sets the designated parameter to the given java.sql.Timestamp value. The
>> driver converts this to an SQL TIMESTAMP value when it sends it to the
>> database.

I'm willing to take that as license to map it to timestamp as there's no
mention of timezone at all, no way to supply one, and "SQL TIMESTAMP"
defaults to WITHOUT TIME ZONE I believe.

If you want to set a TIMESTAMP WITH TIMEZONE using the default timezone,
the JDBC spec seems to want you to call setTimestamp(i, timestamp, null)
(see the first javadoc excerpt above -- "if no calendar object is
specified"). The current driver also does this for
setTimestamp(i,timestamp), which is what I'd like to change.

(and also fix setTimestamp(i,timestamp,calendar) to actually preserve
the timezone info you give it rather than mashing it into the default
timezone, but that's a separate issue..)

-O

Сообщение: Re: Timestamp Conversion Woes Redux
Сообщение: Re: Timestamp Conversion Woes Redux