Re: Streaming ResultSet

От Oliver Jowett
Тема Re: Streaming ResultSet
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Kevin Grittner wrote:

> I'm curious about the reasons that this appoach was taken -- why not
> return the rows as they are retrieved from the server?

The short answer is because to stream on the fly is a much more complex
approach and no-one has stepped forward to implement it.

> (1)  It might not be easy to create all of the right conditions for the
> cursored approach to work.

Another solution here is to work on making the cursor support code more
flexible. Again the main reason that this is not done is that no-one has
come up with a robust implementation yet.

> (2)  You might think you've met all the conditions for the cursored
> approach and be wrong.  The default behavior might kick in and cause an
> OutOfMemoryError.

The same is true with a streaming approach. The driver likes to issue
its own queries internally in many places; if you happen to trip up on
one of those while processing your resultset, boom!

Your best bet to see this implemented is to implement it yourself and
send us a patch. It's a fairly large chunk of work with debatable
benefit, and personally I'd rather spend the time on better cursor
support. (if I *had* time!)

-O

Сообщение: Re: Timestamp Conversion Woes Redux
Сообщение: Re: Timestamp Conversion Woes Redux