Re: Insert performance (OT?)

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Insert performance (OT?)
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Yves Vindevogel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Suppose I have a table with 4 fields (f1, f2, f3, f4)
> I define 2 unique indexes u1 (f1, f2, f3) and u2 (f1, f2, f4)
>
> I have 3 records
> A, B, C, D (this will be inserted)
> A, B, C, E (this will pass u2, but not u1, thus  not inserted)
> A, B, F, D (this will pass u1, but not u2, thus not inserted)

Are you saying you want to know whether they will be inserted before you
try to do so?

> Now, for performance ...
>
> I have tables like this with 500.000 records where there's a new upload
> of approx. 20.000 records.
> It is only now that we say index u2 to be necessary.  So, until now, I
> did something like insert into ... select f1, f2, f2, max(f4) group by
> f1, f2, f3
> That is ok ... and also logically ok because of the data definition

I'm confused here - assuming you meant "select f1,f2,f3", then I don't
see how you guarantee the row doesn't alredy exist.

> I cannot do this with 2 group by's.  I tried this on paper and I'm not
> succeeding.

I don't see how you can have two group-by's, or what that would mean if
you did.

> So, I must use a function that will check against u1 and u2, and then
> insert if it is ok.
> I know that such a function is way slower that my insert query.

So - you have a table, called something like "upload" with 20,000 rows
and you'd like to know whether it is safe to insert them. Well, it's
easy enough to identify which ones are duplicates.

SELECT * FROM upload JOIN main_table ON u1=f1 AND u2=f2 AND u3=f3;
SELECT * FROM upload JOIN main_table ON u1=f1 AND u2=f2 AND u3=f4;

Are you saying that deleting these rows and then inserting takes too long?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd