Re: utf-8 and cultural sensitive sorting

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: utf-8 and cultural sensitive sorting
Дата
Список pgsql-general
sknipe@tucows.com wrote:
> Our product will be storing its character data in utf-8 format (unicode
> encoding).
>
> What is the best way to achive cultural sensitive sorting using the
> utf-8 data?

See below.

> Is it possible have the locale apply to a connection?

A locale applies to a whole database cluster. That's one locale only.

> If so, is the cultural sorting support mature in PostgreSQL?
>
> What type of performance can be expected as compared with the normal c
> locale sorting?

Maturity and performance depend upon the underlying libraries, which
depend upon your O.S. - I recommend testing.

There has been discussion of how to support mixed locales, possibly even
within the same column but I don't know whether anyone is working on
this at the present time. The mailing list archives will contain plenty
of discussion on this.

Does that help?
--
   Richard Huxton