Re: contrib/pgcrypto functions not IMMUTABLE?

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: contrib/pgcrypto functions not IMMUTABLE?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Michael Fuhr wrote:
> But if they restore a dump made with pg_dump or pg_dumpall, they'll
> get the old catalog entries sans STRICT, no?  People might rebuild
> the module when they upgrade, but they might not think to drop and
> recreate the functions since the definitions are already in the
> dump.

I think it is asking for trouble in general to use the DDL from one
version of pgcrypto with a different version of the pgcrypto
implementation. However, you're right that people are inevitably going
to do this, so I suppose we need to keep the checks. Perhaps it would be
worth adding something to the installation documentation suggesting that
people take care when installing new versions of contrib/ packages and
the like without updating the DDL for those packages.

-Neil