Re: Win32 users?

От Andreas
Тема Re: Win32 users?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Joe schrieb:

> What I am surprised is that this is (apparently) not discussed in the
> manual or the FAQ.  The only indirect reference I found is in section
> 14.6.2 where it states --in a Unix context-- that "you should add [the
> PostgreSQL bin directory] into your PATH".

Well, perhaps because the windows platform is relatively recent addition
to the Postgres habitat?
On the other hand I'd guess, that people who NEED that detailed
handholding would not bother to install a full blown SQL server or at
least would prefer to play with PGAdmin3.

> The lack of such a reference gives me the impression that, at this
> time, native Win32 users are technically knowledgeable, because a real
> newbie may not figure out how to address the "unrecognized command"
> createdb problem.

He/she would be a computer newbie then?

> A related issue that I thought would be mentioned in the manuals/FAQ
> is where to add the bin directory in the PATH.  The 14.6.2 section,
> only by example, implies it should be prepended to the PATH.  However,
> you suggest it should be appended.  I know of one other database that
> has a 'createdb' command so if I were to append it, it would still not
> find the PostgreSQL version.

... and if I had a card-game that happens to be called "createdb" ...
I'd allways append because this wouldn't unrecognized breake any
software that was there before.
I guess one can't naively manipulate crucial system info as PATH without
any basic knowledge what could be affected.
While I generally would append it to PATH, I'd still put it before the
CygWin-Bin if both systems are installed.  ;)

Postgres' doc could mention this, too.

Btw. if you have 2 DBMS with a createdb command then you simply can't
use a global PATH.
Then you have to create 2 batch commands that call CMD and set the path
just for this cmd-session.
Someone who likes to run 2 DBMS parallely should figure this out, too.

>   This again may indicate the tech-savvy expected of PostgreSQL users.

Well, yes ...   ;)