Re: Postgres 8.0 windows processes, field testing, and

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Postgres 8.0 windows processes, field testing, and
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Scott Goldstein wrote:
> I had a couple of questions about Postgres 8.0 on Windows platforms:
>
> 1.  Has Postgres 8.0 seen many field deployments yet?  What have been
> the results?

There seems to have been a good take-up. Some people will have been
deploying it even before the official release. Accurate numbers are
obviously hard to come by, but I'd guess we've had more new users this
release than any previous I can recall.

> 2.  When running a test against Postgress, I noticed in the Windows
> task manager that several postgres.exe processes we're created.  What
> controls the number?  Why more than one?

You will have (assuming the same as on *nix):
1. Master process - starts all the others
2. One backend per client
3. Stats buffer/collector
4. Auto-vacuum (optional, not really part of the main system yet)

This provides good separation between different elements, in case of
bugs/crashes. Your postgresql.conf controls how many clients can connect
and hence how many processes.

 > 3.  Has anyone tried to integrate Hibernate with Postgres 8.0?

Don't know about on Windows, but we seem to get questions regarding
Hibernate on the list. It seems to generate some quite clumsy SQL from
time to time, but I must admit I've never used it myself.

Helpful?
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Сообщение: Re: Non-unique index performance
Сообщение: Re: Non-unique index performance