Re: Autovacuum in the backend

От Matthew T. O'Connor
Тема Re: Autovacuum in the backend
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> I've personally seen at least a dozen user requests for "autovacuum
>> in the backend", and had this conversation about 1,100 times:
>>
>> NB: "After a week, my database got really slow."
>> Me: "How often are you running VACUUM ANALYZE?"
>> NB: "Running what?"
>

> Can't argue that except... RTFM ;). I am not saying it doesn't have a
> validity. I am just saying that if you actually pay attention to
> PostgreSQL and maintain it, you don't need it ;)

I think everyone on this list would agree with you.  The only reason I
think the newbie protection is important (and I don't think it's the
most important reason for autovacuum) is that perception is reality to
some extent.  Valid or not we still suffer from a reputation of being
more complicated and slower than mysql.  Steps towards reducing /
eliminating that perception can only be good for us as I think lots of
developers make their first database decision based solely on their
perceptions and then just stick with what they know.