Re: Version Control?

От Peter Fein
Тема Re: Version Control?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Peter Fein wrote:
> As an uninformed, off-the-wall idea, could one compare snapshots of the
> system tables to generate these diffs? I know next-to-nothing about
> these, but it seems like they'd contain the info you'd need.

Here's another nutty idea: Could one create a (carefully designed) audit
table on the system tables themselves?  You'd need to exclude irrelevant
stuff (stats or whatever) & I'd have no idea about performance impact.

Dumping & transforming the audit would basically give you a script that
runs through all the actions done to a schema.  I'm not 100% how to use
this for an update script though.  I'm not sure a straight diff of
actions will work - it seems like the results may be order dependent in
some cases and you might need to infer undos. Anyway, it's interesting...

--
Peter Fein                 pfein@pobox.com                 773-575-0694

Basically, if you're not a utopianist, you're a schmuck. -J. Feldman