Re: The Contrib Roundup (long)

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: The Contrib Roundup (long)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 6/10/2005 3:04 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

>> pgbench:  I see repeated complaints on -performance about how
>> pgbench results are misleading.   Why are we shipping it with
>> PostgreSQL then?
>
> It's handy to have *some* simple concurrent-behavior test included,
> even if it's not something we put a lot of stock in.  The parallel
> regression tests are a joke as far as exercising concurrent updates
> go --- I think pg_bench is an important test tool for that reason.
> I'd not vote to remove this without a better replacement.

In any case it shouldn't have a name that suggests any relationship with
performance measurement. Maybe we can rename this one to pgstresstest1
or something similar?

>> spi: contains TimeTravel functions.  Do these actually still
>> work?  The spi stuff is good for documentation purposes anyway
>> ... but if the functions aren't working, should be in the docs
>> and not /contrib.
>
> Not only do they work, several of them are used in the regression tests.

But I wonder about their general usefullness. Most of the functions in
here are rather examples how to develop simple triggers in C. Triggers
that can be defined in 5 lines of pl/pgsql and looking at the logs they
all predate procedural languages (and foreign keys in the refint case).

I'd say they have more educational character and should move into
documentation. Those functions used by the regression test are supposed
to be under src/test/regression.

Jan