Re: faster search

От Cosimo Streppone
Тема Re: faster search
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Steve Atkins wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 01:45:05PM -0400, Clark Slater wrote:
>
>>Hi-
>>
>>Would someone please enlighten me as
>>to why I'm not seeing a faster execution
>>time on the simple scenario below?
>
 > [...]
 >
> Create an index on (productlistid, typeid, partnumber) then
>
>   select * from test where productlistid=3 and typeid=9
>    order by productlistid, typeid, partnumber LIMIT 15;

Clark, try also adding (just for testing) partnumber to your
where clause, like this:

    select * from test where productlistid=3 and typeid=9
    and partnumber='foo' order by productlistid,
    typeid, partnumber;

and check output of explain analyze.

I had experiences of planner "bad" use of indexes when attribute
types were integer and cardinality was low (a single attribute
value, like "typeid=9" selects one or few rows).
However, this was on 7.1.3, and probably is not relevant to your case.

--
Cosimo