Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres

От: Jeffrey Tenny
Тема: Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Amit V Shah, )
 Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
 Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Amit V Shah, )
  Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  ("Joel Fradkin", )
  Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
   Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Philip Hallstrom, )
 Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Amit V Shah, )
  Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  ("Steinar H. Gunderson", )
  Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (PFC, )
 Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  ( (), )
 Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Bill Ewing, )
  Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Christopher Kings-Lynne, )
  Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (PFC, )
 Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Jeffrey Tenny, )
  Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Tobias Brox, )
   Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Michael Fuhr, )
 Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Amit V Shah, )
  Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Alvaro Herrera, )
  Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Rod Taylor, )
  Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (PFC, )
 Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Amit V Shah, )
  Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Christopher Browne, )
   Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Ron Mayer, )
    Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (PFC, )
   Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Jan Wieck, )
    Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  ("Joel Fradkin", )
     Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (PFC, )
      Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Enrico Weigelt, )
       Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Mark Lewis, )
        Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres  (Moises Alberto Lindo Gutarra, )

Re: your JDBC wishes: Consider IBM Cloudscape (now Apache Derby) too,
which has an apache license.  It's all pure java and it's easy to get going.

As to MySql vs Postgres: license issues aside, if you have
transactionally complex needs (multi-table updates, etc), PostgreSQL
wins hands down in my experience.  There are a bunch of things about
MySQL that just suck for high end SQL needs. (I like my subqueries,
and I absolutely demand transactional integrity).

There are some pitfalls to pgsql though, especially for existing SQL
code using MAX and some other things which can really be blindsided
(performance-wise) by pgsql if you don't use the workarounds.

MySQL is nice for what I call "raw read speed" applications. But that
license is an issue for me, as it is for you apparently.

Some cloudscape info:
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/cloudscape/

Some info on pitfalls of MySQL and PostgreSQL, an interesting contrast:
http://sql-info.de/postgresql/postgres-gotchas.html
http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html

Сообщение: Re: Postgresql on an AMD64 machine
Сообщение: Re: Postgresql on an AMD64 machine