compiling pgadmin3 on suse 9.3

От Miha Radej
Тема compiling pgadmin3 on suse 9.3
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
hi!

firstly, i am very new to linux, so forgive me for asking stupid
questions (it's easy to install in windows. next, next, use defaults,
finish ;))

i have recently migrated to suse linux 9.3 and have, after hearing from
a friend having problems installing from fedora rpm's (suse 8.2 rpm
directory on the website gives a 404 error), tried to build pgadmin3 on
my system, following instructions on the website. after several tries
pgadmin3 is now operational.

upon executing the binary, i get the following error message:
Cannot convert from the charset '@LOCALE,UTF-8,ISO-8859-2,CP1250'!

after clicking ok, everything seems to work without problems. is this
message a result of using the "--enable-debug" switch? does it go away
if i were to build without that switch?

i also had the same problems as described here
http://www.mail-archive.com/pgadmin-support@postgresql.org/msg04040.html

which were solved after following dave's hint. is there an (easy) way to
avoid using 'LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib -lkrb5" ./configure ...' every time i
try to build pgadmin?

pgadmin3 has settled into the /usr/local/pgadmin3 directory. is this
the same on all systems? what i mean to ask is that the binary
/usr/local/pgadmin3/bin/pgadmin3 isn't in the default $PATH. i would
like pgadmin3 to root itself in the /usr/local/bin directory
(--prefix=/usr/local when configuring). is this generally a bad idea?

and even though i'm a linux newbie i'd like to try to look into
providing a rpm for suse 9.3, if there is any interest? this seems
interesting enough to me so i wanna play a bit :) i'll have to r some fm
first though.

thank you :)
regards,