Re: Functions

От Keith Worthington
Тема Re: Functions
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
John DeSoi wrote:

> On May 31, 2005, at 2:52 PM, Nick Jones wrote:
>
>> Aww, I was really close :) ... thanks, that works.  I believe I
>> understand it now :)  Do you normally write functions in plpgsql or a
>> different language (sql, perl, c)?  I ask so I should know where to
>> focus my learning.
>
> I like plpsql because the semantics are designed for working with
> databases and PostgreSQL in particular. I would only use a different
> language for PostgreSQL if plpgsql can't get the job done or cannot do
> it efficiently.
>
> John DeSoi, Ph.D.
> http://pgedit.com/
> Power Tools for PostgreSQL

While I agree with John and write 98% of my functions in plpsql I found
it necessary to write a couple of functions in Perl because I had to
parse a text field that was sufficiently complex as to almost completely
rule out plpsql.

You will need to focus your learning on whatever makes sense for the
majority of your application.  The good news is that plpsql comes almost
for free so you still get one more. ;-)

--
Kind Regards,
Keith