Re: Performance Question

От J Sisson
Тема Re: Performance Question
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
There are a few things you didn't mention...

First off, what is the context this database is being used in?  Is it the backend for a web server?  Data warehouse?  Etc?

Second, you didn't mention the use of indexes.  Do you have any indexes on the table in question, and if so, does EXPLAIN ANALYZE show the planner utilizing the index(es)?

Third, you have 8 GB of RAM on a dedicated machine.  Consider upping the memory settings in postgresql.conf.  For instance, on my data warehouse machines (8 GB RAM each) I have shared_buffers set to almost 2 GB and effective_cache_size set to nearly 5.5 GB.  (This is dependent on how you're utilizing this database, so don't blindly set these values!)

Last, you didn't mention what RAID level the other server you tested this on was running.