Effectiveness of pg_escape_string at blocking SQL injection attacks

Folks,

The php mysql api has a function "mysql_real_escape_string" that seems
to be able to thwart known SQL injection attacks -- at least the ones of
which I and other people I've discussed this with know.  I am curious to
know if pg_escape_string is as effective.  If not, what would need to be
modified to make it more effective?

(there is a possibility that I may be able to get a grad student to work
  on this at the center, so detailed responses would be appreciated.)

Thanks!

--
Ed Finkler
Web and Security Archive Administrator