Re: International Characters

От Tim Allen
Тема Re: International Characters
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Jamie Deppeler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are having an issue importing international characters into
> postgresql 8.
>
> example Renée
>
> The error message we get is ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding
> "UNICODE": 0xe92044
>
> Any help would be greatfully recieved
>
> Jamie

Judging by the encoding of your email message, you're in the habit of
using iso-8859-1 (also known as latin1), rather than UTF-8. The error
message indicates that the database thinks you've asked it to use UTF-8,
and the latin1 characters you're supplying it are correctly identified
as not being legal UTF-8 characters.

Solutions are to either use UTF-8 as your encoding, or to tell the
database what encoding you really want to use, eg by

set client_encoding to latin1;

to set the encoding that a particular session is going to use.

Tim

Tim Allen          tim@proximity.com.au
Proximity Pty Ltd  http://www.proximity.com.au/