Re: Speeding up the Postgres lexer

От Christopher Kings-Lynne
Тема Re: Speeding up the Postgres lexer
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> What I'm wondering is whether this is really worth doing or not.
> There are currently just two parts of the lexer rules that are affected
> --- the {real} rule illustrated above, and the rules that allow quoted
> strings to be split across lines as the SQL spec requires.  But the
> patches are still pretty ugly, and what's really annoying is that there
> doesn't seem to be any way to get flex to complain if someone later
> makes a change that breaks the no-backup-cases property again.

I was just thinking that if there's not a switch, it's prone to error again.

However, the lexer isn't touched anywhere near as much as the grammar is  right?  So just put a large
comment/warning/reminderat the top to

test for non-backup states.

I'm definitely in favour of a 1/3 speedup of the lexer.

Chris