Re: pgFoundry

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: pgFoundry
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> No that is public presentation of the project not project development.
>>

>> I don't see that people are going to be able to participate in
>> development
>> if they don't use the mailing lists.
>

> I am not arguing that but public mailing lists are no place to track
> status of sub projects or tasks. They are for discussion.

Joshua,

I think you formulated the question wrong. It shouldn't be "why aren't
we using pgFoundry?" but "what can we do to improve our processes?" Only
after that question is answered should toolsets be considered. For
example, the TODO list is not really a task list at all - its status is
very nebulous. Some things will probably never be done, and many many
things will be done which aren't on it. So before we ask about task
tracking, we need to ask where the list of tracked tasks comes from. In
the past I have been told "there isn't and can't be such a list". In
that case, use of task tracking software is just a waste of bandwidth.

I'd like to see a bit more in the way of formal process, but to be done
right that also needs some resources (i.e. someone's time) which is not
something we are rich in.

cheers

andrew