Re: Adventures in Quest for GUI RAD

От Tony Caduto
Тема Re: Adventures in Quest for GUI RAD
Дата
Список pgsql-general
That's what was said 7 years ago..... guess what it's still around and
going strong.
This is one of the most ridiculous arguments against using Delphi, every
year people
like you say this, then 7 years go by and your still wrong....

>The problem with Delphi is that it is uncertain where it will stand
>five and ten years down the road.
>
>Killer question: Can you assume that apps you wrote two years ago
>(with Delphi) will still be able to run on top of Longhorn?  If not,
>that makes Delphi a dangerous choice.

Apps created 9 years ago with Delphi 2 will run in Longhorn, hardly a
dangerous choice, you also
forgot to mention or don't know that Delphi 2005 ships with Delphi .net
which means you can
compile code native win32(single exes) or target .net.  it also ships
with full C# support.
Bill Gates recently mentioned that 32bit support will be around for the
next 50 years and MS products will have to support
them.  Heck most of my Delphi apps work well under WINE on Linux...

>There are those that would criticize it for it using Pascal; it's not
>really worth going there...

Thats easy to say for someone who has never used it, maybe you should
talk to the hundreds of VB 6 MVPs who are now
trying to sue M$ because they won't be supporting VB 6 anymore and
VB.net is sooo different for them.
Pascal is a easy to use strongly typed language that can do just about
anything C or C++ can do (except for drivers)
There are tons and tons of apps created in Delphi that can just blow you
away, i.e. full RDBMS systems (nexusDB) many remote control
products(like PC anywhere), multitudes of IM servers and clients, C++
IDEs (http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/) etc etc.

And once again the whole point is that Delphi can create very functional
GUI Database apps without writting a lot of code, and if you do want to
write code you can, it gives you
the best of both worlds.  You can create FINISHED GUI DB apps in 20
minutes in Delphi while the C# or Java guy is still writing code and you
get all the Object Oriented goodness you could ever want, and it's been
there since 1995, when VB could only dream about it.

This is not about being religious about any particular language, it's
about using one that can bring a DB product/program together very fast
with low to none dependencies
and deployment issues.  If C#, Python, Java would allow me to create GUI
DB apps at the same speed and ease I would be all over it.
I use C# and Java for writing console applications where a advanced GUI
is not needed and I have found that C# makes nice console apps that also
work well on Linux via mono, and have several in production that import
500,000+ records per day into a Postgresql database.

It looks a lot nicer when you know the FACTS.

Thanks,

Tony

От: Scott Marlowe
Сообщение: Re: postmaster crash - another server process exited
От: "Jeff Eckermann"
Сообщение: Re: Adventures in Quest for GUI RAD