Upgrade to pg and driver version 8.x code compatibilities

От Tom Arthurs
Тема Upgrade to pg and driver version 8.x code compatibilities
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
We've upraged out development and qa servers to postgresql 8.  When using our java application, we get errors at
variouspoints in the code
similar to the following:

Unable to create new submission. org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement@180b22ejava.sql.SQLException:
ERROR: column "job_experience" is of type smallint but expression is of type character varying

If I downgrade the driver to the 7.4.x version the error goes away and we can run the application.

I realize this is probably pointing to bad coding practices, which will be fixed, I believe, as our developers work on
thecode, but we want to
avoid an all out push to get the code all fixed (similar problems exist in a *lot* of places in the code).  We'd like
toprocede with
upgrading to 8.x server -- Two questions arise

1.  What changed between the driver versions that generate this error?

2.  What is the downside of continuing to use the 7.x version of the driver -- or are there better alternatives (patch,
newversion, etc).  I
am using build 311 of the driver.