Re: Persistent Connections in Webserver Environment

От Hannes Dorbath
Тема Re: Persistent Connections in Webserver Environment
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 02.05.2005 17:41, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> But if the average PHP script takes 50 milliseconds to start up and 100 milliseconds to run, then either one is still
prettymuch noise.

Yeah, _IF_ :)
Our scripts reside precompiled in a bytecode cache so there just isn't
much start up time ;)

I just replaced the simple query with a real world one:

http://hannes.imos.net/real_world.txt

http://hannes.imos.net/pconnect.php
http://hannes.imos.net/connect.php

Refresh both a few times to get meaningful result.

Still factor 3-4. And this is one of the most complex queries we have --
and factor 3-4 just makes a differece for us :)

> Plus, neither benchmark is interesting really until you have pretty good parallel load running.

The scripts are on a production box with decent load.

> It may well be that pconnect makes a difference under heavier load.  But most the time, I've seen one or two queries
thatcould be tuned make a much larger difference than using pconnect.

We allways try to optimize and get most of performance from a query
anyway :)

> And, if you haven't got apache / postgresql configured properly and run out of connections, the connect time goes
from16 mS to hours as your users wait for you to fix the connectivity issues.  :)

True, but we will test high load and will make sure that this won't
happen :)

--
imos  Gesellschaft fuer Internet-Marketing und Online-Services mbH
Alfons-Feifel-Str. 9 // D-73037 Goeppingen  // Stauferpark Ost

От: Scott Marlowe
Сообщение: Re: Persistent Connections in Webserver Environment
От: David Wheeler
Сообщение: Re: [Dbdpg-general] Re: 'prepare' is not quite schema-safe