Delphi personal (was Playing with PostgreSQL and Access VBA)

От Tony Caduto
Тема Delphi personal (was Playing with PostgreSQL and Access VBA)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
All you need is the Personal Edition of say Delphi 6 or Delphi 7, and
even Delphi 2005.
For Delphi 2005 personal edition see this link:
http://andy.jgknet.de/oss/kylix/wiki/index.php/Delphi_2005_Personal_Edition_xmlrtl.dcp_fake
Heck, Delphi 5 is still extremely viable and can do anything 6,7 or 2005
can do, and I bet you can find version 5 on ebay or elseware for dirt cheap.

The personal editions do not include database access components by
themselves, but you certainly can use third party tools such as Zeos
(http://www.zeoslib.net) or those from
http://www.microolap.com.
You could even grab a copy of libpq.pas if you want to do direct access
to PG.

You get what you pay for and there is nothing available for Python or
WXwidgets that even comes close to Delphi for RAD/GUI database development.
Not to mention all the other stuff you can do with Delphi, it's also a
great programming language for console apps, services, TCP/IP servers.
There are even remote control applications built with it ala PC Anywhere.

Plus if you call borland, I am sure they would give you the upgrade
price if you have a old copy of VB laying around for a competive upgrade.