Re: Beta going well

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Beta going well
Дата
Re: Beta going well  ("Christopher Kings-Lynne" <announce@familyhealth.com.au>)
Список pgsql-hackers
>> I don't think so ... let's talk beta2 in mid November, with a much broader
>> announcement then just -hackers, with maybe an rc1 around the end of
>> November, schedualing a release for January 1st or there abouts ...

> I am afraid you may be correct.  It bothers me that we will spend
> another two months doing little but waiting, and considering post-final,
> there could be three months of downtime here.   Yuck.

> Folks, can we shorten this up?

In the past we've usually targeted a one-month beta cycle, haven't we?
Often it took longer, but with so few trouble reports I can't see a
justification for suddenly changing the target to ten weeks.

I would almost say that we could plan to do beta2 this week, rc1 the
week of Thanksgiving, and final about Dec 1 (barring major trouble
reports of course).

But ... there are a couple of flies in the ointment.  One is that with
the kinks still not completely worked out of the new server setup,
I don't have much confidence that there are really a lot of people doing
beta testing.  (If Marc ever put out an actual announcement of beta1,
I didn't get it.  And we know some people have been unable to download
the beta.)  The other is that with the holiday season coming up, many
people will have less spare time than usual to spend on Postgres.  So
maybe Marc's unaggressive schedule proposal is appropriate.

On the whole, though, I agree with Bruce.  We've been in "almost beta"
mode for two months now, we shouldn't need another two months to get to
release.