Re: Problem with PITR recovery

От Klaus Naumann
Тема Re: Problem with PITR recovery
Дата
Re: Problem with PITR recovery  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Simon,

> Actually, me too. Never saw the need for the Oracle command myself.

It actually has. If you want to move your redo logs to a new disk, you
create a new redo log file and then issue a ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE;
to switch to the new logfile. Then you can remove the "old" one
(speaking just of one file for simplification).
Waiting on that event could take ages.

Strictly speaking, this doesn't concern postgresql (yet). But if, at the
future, we support user defined (= changing these parameters while the
db is running) redo log locations, sizes and count, we need a function
to switch the logfile manually. Which I think the pg_stop_backup()
hack is not suitable for.