Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Vivek Khera wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2005, at 10:03 PM, Kevin Brown wrote:
>
>> Now, bad block remapping destroys that guarantee, but unless you've
>> got a LOT of bad blocks, it shouldn't destroy your performance, right?
>>

> ALL disks have bad blocks, even when you receive them.  you honestly
> think that these large disks made today (18+ GB is the smallest now)
> that there are no defects on the surfaces?

That is correct. It is just that the HD makers will mark the bad blocks
so that the OS knows not to use them. You can also run the bad blocks
command to try and find new bad blocks.

Over time hard drives get bad blocks. It doesn't always mean you have to
replace the drive but it does mean you need to maintain it and usually
at least backup, low level (if scsi) and mark bad blocks. Then restore.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting